Friday, February 8, 2013

On My Shelf // February 2013



JaneJane by April Lindner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Even though (I believe) that this book was written for young adults, I really enjoyed it. It is a modern take on "Jane Eyre", with the Mr. Rochester character being a rock star. The action was fast paced enough to make this a quick read, but the Jane in this version is a little ... "blah". I never really understood what "Mr. Rochester" saw in her. And why a modern relationship would move that fast - as in first kiss to engagement in ... two(?) days.

Here's the summary from Goodreads : "Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, a world-famous rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance.

But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is soon tested by an agonizing secret from his past. Torn between her feelings for Nico and his fateful secret, Jane must decide: Does being true to herself mean giving up on true love?

An irresistible romance interwoven with a darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers."

I have heard from quite a few people, mostly those who loved the original, that didn't like this version. I think that the reason I liked it is because I had a hard time getting into the original. I love the movies, but for some reason, the book is too slow for me to read.

I recommend this for those who love the movies, but not the book. If you like the original, you probably won't like this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment